ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in the domain of translation, interpreting, multilingual communication, language and translation acquisition and teaching, terminology or language technology (research groups EQTIS, TRACE, MULTIPLES or LT3).
- You will assist in teaching activities in the English section at Bachelor’s, Master’s or Postgraduate’s level.
- You will assist in writing research proposals and the coaching of PhD students in the research group.
- You will counsel students for their bachelor papers and master’s dissertations.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a doctoral degree in the domain of translation, interpreting, multilingual communication, language and translation acquisition and teaching, terminology or language technology or an equivalent degree. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have already conducted research within one of these fields which can be corroborated by recent publications in international academic journals which rely on experts for the evaluation of submitted papers.
- You know English at C2 level of the European Reference Framework or as a native speaker.
- Having positively evaluated experience in offering and/or organising academic training is recommended.
- You are profoundly interested in coaching students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Advanced Master’s programmes.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a three-year appointment, which can be renewed once and only in exceptional circumstances for maximum three years.. The term of renewal begins immediately after the first term has expired. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a post-doctoral assistant at a university within the Flemish Community, you cannot apply for this position.
- The successful candidate is expected to begin the appointment on 1 September 2019 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP5. More information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your relevant scientific publications (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via www.naricvlaanderen.be/en).
- a text (max. 1500 words) in which you express your views regarding the fulfilment of the position at hand, including a concrete research and publication plan
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Prof. Sonia Vandepitte (email@example.com).